Nature, Adventure and Luxury at Chandragiri Hills Resort
November 7, 2023
Chandragiri Hills has always been a popular destination amongst nature lovers. For decades, the valley dwellers have hiked to its summit for many reasons—view of the Himalayan range, a pilgrimage to Bhaleshwor, a family picnic, and just some solitude. With Chandragiri Hills Resort at the location, you can still experience it all but with a generous dollop of luxury, convenience and style.
Nature and Adventure Galore at Chandragiri Hills Resort
Whether you are after stunning views, exhilarating adventures, or a much-need nature-break in Kathmandu, Chandragiri Hills offers them all. Learn more about it below:
- For Nature Lovers, Chandragiri is a blessing that keeps on giving. The thick forests that cover the hill from 1,500 meters at its base to 2,551 meters at its summit are rich in biodiversity and offer environs fit for meditation. Nature admirers will enjoy wandering the well-trodden trails, off-the-beaten nooks and crannies, and the surrounding hills. There are plenty of short trails for leisure strolls in the jungle.
- For Avid Adventurers, Chandragiri Hills is a thrillseeker’s paradise, offering heart-pumping adventures. Zipline through lush landscapes, feeling the rush of freefall as you plunge from staggering heights. Test your determination and endurance as you climb a wall. Satisfy your inner daredevil with free-fall activities. Whether an avid adventurer or testing your bravery for the first time, Chandragiri Hills promises exhilarating exploits amidst breathtaking scenery.
- For Scenic Vistas, there is no better place in Kathmandu than the Chandragiri Hills. The summit offers a panoramic view of the Himalayan range, including the world-famous Mount Everest, Manaslu, Ganesh, Gaurishankar, and several other towering summits. The Observatory offers an enhanced, up-close view of not only the mountains but also the surrounding hills and the valley below.
- For the Hikers, Chandragiri offers some of the best trails in Kathmandu. While one can always attempt the 3-4 hour’s hike up the Chandragiri hill and back, there are also alternative hiking routes around the hill that are very rewarding. For a more challenging hiking experience, try the 6-hour Champadevi-Chandragiri hiking trail that can start and end at either destination. An easy 2-hour hiking trail to a nearby village is also a wonderful option.
- For Birdwatchers, Chandragiri Hills provides an excellent vantage point for spotting migratory birds, especially during the winter season. As raptors like the Steppe Eagle soar through the Kathmandu Valley, heading south for the winter, the hills offer prime viewing along their migration routes. Species like Kingfishers, Common Myna, Indian Pond Heron, and Oriental Turtle Dove can also be spotted amidst the hills’ native vegetation and landscapes. Red-vented Bulbuls, Great Egrets, House Crows, and Little Egrets are just some of the many birds that birding enthusiasts may identify over the course of a day’s observation at Chandragiri.
Luxury Stay in Kathmandu: The Chandragiri Hills
The natural setting of the hills is well complemented by the comfort and plush offerings of Chandragiri Hills Resort. It is an ideal choice for a luxurious staycation or a weekend getaway in Kathmandu. Residing within the green forest with glazing background of Himalayas, the resort offers unbeatable services within the natural environment.
Cable Car Access
The proximity of the Chandragiri Hills Resort from the valley and the easy cable car access to the resort from the base of the hill is one of its key highlights. Hop on the cherry red gondolas and get sweeped off to the summit in just 10 mins, all the while enjoying the breathtaking views of the Himalayas and the Kathmandu Valley. No wonder this is one of the best cable car ride in Kathmandu if you are looking for some snow-capped views amidst the city.
The resort sets the standard for accommodation. Each room provides breathtaking views of the surrounding forests and mountains, making it a haven of elegance and luxury. The plush furnishing and modern comforts allows guests a pampered retreat unlike any other. Returning to your hotel room after an extensive day of exploring in Chandragiri is a pleasure in itself.
The resort offers a delightful culinary experience. The on-site restaurants provide a wide variety of intercontinental and Nepali cuisine created with care and passion. Every meal is a gourmet delight, from exquisite buffets to on the menu selections. Dining outdoors allows you to taste your cuisine while admiring the scenery, making every bite more memorable.
Infinity Pool with a View
When at the resort, make the most of the infinity pool set at the edge of the hill. Enjoy a refreshing dip, do a few laps, or just walk to the pool’s end to take in the stunning view. During the day visitors can be in awe of the valley below and the gleaming mountain range. In the evening, the city glitters like a crown jewel, the night-sky is star studded, and an evening swim amidst all that is glorious.
For the few who would like to take a private vehicle to Chandragiri Hills Resort, road access is available. Since it is a dirt road, an off-road four-wheeler or bike is highly recommended. The 45-minute journey from the base to the Chandragiri summit via road can be dusty but is very exciting.
Best Time to Visit Chandragiri Hills Resort
There is no bad time as such to visit Chandragiri Hills Resort. Spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November) offer unobstructed views of the Himalayan range, clear blue skies and pleasant weather, making it the perfect time to book a stay at the hotel. Outdoor dinners, swimming in the pool, and hiking the trails are wonderful options during the stay.
Winter (December to February) changes the landscape of the hills. The hills are covered in dramatic mist, there is frostiness in the air, and when it rains, it snows. We recommend checking the weather report and arriving a day before it is due to rain to experience the winter magic of Chandragiri Hills. We also recommend the resort’s hot chocolate or a glass of whiskey during such stays.
May brings peak summer. It can be hot and humid, but there is a lovely chill in the air at this hilltop resort even during the hottest days. Then, there is always the pool for a refreshing early morning or late evening dop! You wake up to a brilliant sunrise every morning; the first rays of sun washing the white Himalayas in rich golden hues. Rhododendrons are in full bloom in the forest, giving short strolls a different appeal.
Monsoon (June to August) brings mammoth storm clouds that cover the valley and surrounding hills, including Chandragiri. Although hiking trails and road-access is challenging during this period, our cable cars are in full function and very safe. It is an experience to see a storm brew and a lighting strike from the vantage point of the resort.
Chandragiri Hills Resort is the perfect getaway destination in Kathmandu if you are seeking adventure, nature, luxury and accessibility. The resort is open year around and has a different appeal in every season, and has something for everyone. Reach out to us today to book the best getaway in the valley.